[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Track and Field Strong at URI’s Tribute to Torpey Invitational

John J Carchedi jcarched at friars.providence.edu
Sat Feb 4 21:49:08 EST 2012

FOR IMMEDI­ATE RELEASE – February 4, 2012
Contact – John Carchedi (401) 865 1245

Providence College Track and Field Strong at URI’s Tribute to Torpey Invitational
Pryor, Ffrench O’Carroll, Hillery all eclipse BIG EAST qualifying.

KINGSTON, R.I. – The Providence College men’s and women’s track and field teams turned in several strong performances Saturday, taking on a crowded Mackal Field House for the URI Tribute to Torpey Invitational.

Senior Charlotte Ffrench O’Carroll (Dublin, Ireland) earned a place at the BIG EAST Championships in the mile, placing second with a time of 4:53.82.

Also impressing was freshman Devyn Pryor (Dartmouth, Mass.). The mid-distance runner placed second overall in the 800-meters with a 2:16.38, also surpassing the BIG EAST standard.

The Friars earned two other top five finishes. Sophomore Jackie McCarthy (New Rochelle, N.Y.) was third in the 1000, posting a 2:59.87. Senior Mary Kate Champagne (Plattsburg, N.Y.) was third in the 3000 with a 10:07.97.

On the men’s side, freshman Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) continued his strong debut year, qualifying for the BIG EAST Championships in the mile with a posting of 4:19.28.

Another highlight came courtesy the 3000-meters, as Friars Jonathan Hopkins (Bridgend, Wales) and Lee Carey (Bedford, England) earned first and second place, respectively. Hopkins crossed in 8:32.41. Carey, also running in his first race of the season, earned a time of 8:35.85.

Senior Corey Brunelle (Woonsocket, R.I.) also grabbed a top-five finish, crossing fifth in the 1000-meters with a clocking of 2:33.80.

Both Friar teams return to action on February 10 at the Valentine Invitational at Boston University.

- Go Friars -

John Carchedi
Athletic Media Relations
Providence College