[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Women’s Cross Country Finishes 13th At NCAA Championships

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Sat Nov 22 17:42:05 EST 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014

Contact - Laura Nagel (401) 865-1245

Providence College Women’s Cross Country Finishes 13th At NCAA Championships

Catarina Rocha earned All-America honors.

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. - The Providence College women's cross country team finished 13th at the Lavern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course for the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind. on Saturday, Nov. 22. The Friars finished with a total of 401 points among a field of 31 teams.

Sophomore Catarina Rocha (Peabody, Mass.) led the way for the Friars with a 33rd-place finish, earning All-America honors. Rocha clocked in at 20:38.4 over the 6km course.

“I’m really excited for the team,” said Rocha. “We came in 13th and no one expected it. We all ran great and will be looking forward to coming back to NCAA’s next year.”

Junior Lauren Mullins (Binghamton, N.Y.) clocked in at 20:59.2 for a 67th-place finish with freshman Katie Lembo (Penfield, N.Y.) finishing just three spots behind her. Lembo crossed the line in a time of 21:01.3 for 70th-place as the third Providence women to finish.

The fourth Friar to finish was freshman Brianna Ilarda (Perth, Australia). Ilarda grabbed the 153rd-spot in a time of 21:35.5.

The fifth and sixth Providence women to finish were freshman Mackenzie Barry (Mendham, N.J.) and junior Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.), respectively. Barry placed 194th with a time of 21:53.9, while Keating finished 218th (22:09.2).

Rounding out the top-seven Friar finishers, junior Katie Sischo finished 234th in a time of 22:38.6.

“I’m absolutely delighted with the women’s team having three of our top five inside the top-100,” said head coach Ray Treacy. “The women overachieved tremendously on the season. It will be exciting to see what the future brings over the next two years with this team, bringing Sarah back too. They will have received a tremendous positive feeling from this race today that will carry into next year.”

- Go Friars -?

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College