[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Ties For First At New England’s

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Tue Oct 14 12:43:12 EDT 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2014
Contact - Laura Nagel (401) 865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Ties For First At New England’s

Four Friars earn All-New England honors.

BOSTON, Mass. - The Providence College men's cross country team tied for first with Brown (72 points) at the New England Championships on Oct. 11. The Friars finished the race with their top-four finishers earning All-New England honors.

Junior Julian Oakley (Tauranga, New Zealand) was the first Friar to cross the finish. Oakley finished second in a time of 24:34.48 over the 8km course. Shortly after Oakley was sophomore Hugh Armstrong (Ballina, County Mayo, Ireland). Armstrong crossed the line for sixth place in a time of 24:44.93.

The third Friar across the line was junior Stephen Robertson (Wakefield, Mass.). Robertson earned 16th-place with a finishing time of 24:57.02.

Sophomore Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.) and junior Christian Costello (Ridgewood, N.J.) were the fourth and fifth scorers for Providence. Crawley finished 21st in a time of 25:02.98, while Costello finished 27th (25:06.25).

Rounding out the Friars top seven were the sophomore duo of Jake Feinstein (Sandy Hook, Conn.) and Jonathan Estrada (Los Angeles, Calif.). Feinstein and Estrada finished 69th and 96th, respectively.

“I’m very happy with the performances today,” said head coach Ray Treacy. “With our top-seven sitting out for Wisconsin next week, this is a very young team and our team of the future.”

Next up for the Friars is the Adidas Wisconsin Invitational on Friday, Oct. 17. The meet will feature several of the nation’s top-ranked teams. The men’s 8km race is set to start at 11:45 a.m.

-Go Friars-?

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College