[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Cross Country Teams Dominate At College Woods

Rachel C Anderson rander11 at friars.providence.edu
Fri Aug 31 16:49:27 EDT 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 31, 2012

CONTACT:  Rachel Anderson (401)865-2202

Providence College Cross Country Teams Dominate At College Woods
Laura Nagel and Shane Quinn lead Friars to season opening victories at UNH.

DURHAM, N.H. - The Providence College men's and women's cross country teams dominated the course in the 2012 season opener at the UNH Meet in Durham, N.H. on Friday, August 31. Junior Laura Nagel (Napier, New Zealand) and sophomore Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland) represented the Friars well, taking home individual victories on both sides, while guiding their teams to victories.

It  was, “a good start to the season,” Head Coach Ray Treacy said.  “I’m happy with the results considering we held out quite a few of our top runners.”

The women's team scored 20 points and defeated host New Hampshire (55 points). The Friars locked up seven of the top-10 spots in the race, led by Nagel's first-place finish in a time of 17:07.0. Finishing side-by-side with Nagel, senior Shelby Greany (Suffern, N.Y.) notched a second-place finish in a time of 17:07.3, followed by freshman Katie Sischo (Jamesville, N.Y.,) who placed fourth on the day (18:29.3).  Fellow freshman Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.) took sixth (18:34.6), followed by sophomore Devyn Pryor (Dartmouth, Mass.), freshman Lauren Mullins (Binghamton, N.Y.) and junior Jackie McCarthy (New Rochelle, N.Y.).  Pryor finished seventh with a time of 18:39.1, while Mullins earned eighth (18:40.2) and McCarthy crossed the line in ninth place (18:42.1).

Providence also took the team title on the men's side with a total of 18 points, topping New Hampshire (48 points). Eight Friars placed in the top-10, including four of the top five.  Quinn led the way with a first-place individual finish in a time of 18:26. He completed the course 30.6-seconds ahead of the event's second-place finisher, fellow Friar, junior Jonathan Hopkins (Bridgend, Wales) (18:56.6).

Sophomore Benjamin Connor (Derby, England) placed third for the Friars with a time of 19:06.8. Sophomore Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) finished fifth (19:07.9), while freshman Christian Costello (Ridgewood, N.J.), seniors Ahmed Ali (Boston, Mass.) and Alex Wallace (Waipukurau, New Zealand) and sophomore Luke Perron (West Hartford, Conn.) took spots seven through 10, respectively. Costello finished with a time of 19:19.1 next to Ali who took eighth in 19:19.6. Wallace and Perron crossed the line in 19:24.4 and 19:27.4, respectively.

-GO FRIARS-