[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Takes Third At BC Invitational

Jennifer R Friedman jfriedm1 at friars.providence.edu
Fri Sep 27 20:18:26 EDT 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, Sept. 27

Contact: Jennifer Friedman-(401) 865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Takes Third At BC Invitational

The Friars finished seven points ahead of No. 8 Wisconsin.

BOSTON, Mass. - The Providence College men’s cross country team earned a third place finish at the Boston College Invitational today, Friday, Sept. 27 at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. The Friar’s third place win was enough to put them past eighth-ranked Wisconsin.

Graduate student Julian Saad (Trumball, Conn.) was the first Friar to cross the finish line with a fifth place finish. Saad finished the 8k race in a season-best time of 24:16.0. Saad was followed by junior Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland), who earned a sixth place finish with a season-best time of 24:17.0. Both Saad and Quinn earned their third top-ten finishes of the season in the race.

Junior Brian Doyle (Swansea, Mass.) was the next Friar to score with a 15th place finish in a time of 24:34.0. Following Doyle was junior Benjamin Connor (Derby, England), who earned a 25th place finish with a time of 25:01.0.

The final scoring Friar was sophomore Harvey Dixon (Aldershot, England), who earned a 30th place finish with a time of 25:10.0.

Following Dixon was junior Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.), who finished 31st with a time of 25:11.0. Freshman Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.) and sophomore Christian Costello (Ridgewood, N.J.) finished tied in 44th. The two finished in a time of 25:32.0.

The next three Friars to cross the finish line were freshmen Jonathan Estrada (Los Angeles, Calif.), Billg Bragg (Middletown, N.J.), Jake Feinstein (Sandy Hook, Conn.). Estrada finished in a time of 25:49.0 for a 55th place finish, while Bragg earned a 56th place finish with a time of 25:50.0. Feinstein crossed the line at 25:55.0 for a 58th place finish.

The final Friars to finish were sophomores Stephen Robertson (Wakefield, Mass.), Joseph Vercollone (Pembroke, Mass.) and Brendan Sullivan (Foxboro, Mass.), and freshman Hugh Armstrong. Robertson was 69th with a time of 26:15.0, followed by Vercollone with a time of 26:27.0 for a 72nd place finish. Armstrong and Sullivan were the last Friars to cross the line with 73rd and 74th place finishes. Armstrong finished the race in a time of 26:30.0, while Sullivan clocked a 26:34.0.

Providence finished third with 81 points. No. 12 Oregon was first with 22 points, while No. 9 Syracuse earned a second place finish with 69 points. Eighth-ranked Wisconsin was the fourth place team with 88 points. Overall Providence was one of 14 teams that competed in the race that marked the start of the qualifying period for teams to start collecting points for the Division I Cross Country National Championships to be held in Terre Haute, Ind. on Nov. 23.

"It was a good day for the men and women against national championship caliber opponents," Assistant Coach Kevin Myles stated on the race. "We got exceptional races from our top runners on both the men’s and women’s side. We are looking forward to the remainder of the season as we will strive to show steady improvement."

The Friars are back in action Oct. 12 when the Friars will once again compete at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. at the New England Championships.

--GO FRIARS--

Jennifer Friedman
Sports Information
Graduate Assistant