[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Women’s Cross Country Blazes Past Reigning NCAA Champions

Jennifer R Friedman jfriedm1 at friars.providence.edu
Fri Sep 27 20:17:14 EDT 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, Sept. 27

Contact: Jennifer Friedman-(401) 865-1245

Providence College Women’s Cross Country Blazes Past Reigning NCAA Champions

The Friars earned the win with three top-five finishers.

BOSTON, Mass. - The Providence College women’s cross country team claimed three of the top-five spots to earn their third win of the 2013-14 cross country season. The Friars knocked off reigning national champions and No. 3 Oregon at the Boston College Invitational at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. today, Friday, Sept. 27.

The Friars saw senior Emily Sisson (Chesterfield, Mo.) earn a first place finish with a season-best time of 16:51.0 in the 5k race. It was Sisson’s second first-place finish of the season and her third top-two finish. Classmate Laura Nagel (Napier, New Zealand) finished on the heels of Sisson in second place with a season-best time of 16:58.0.

Sophomore Sarah Mary Collins (Basel, Switzerland) was the third Friar to finish. Collins earned a fourth place finish with a time of 17:07.0. Following Collins was freshman Catarina Rocha (Peabody, Mass.) with a seventh place finish (17:28.0), her second top-ten finish of the season.

The final scoring Friar to cross the finish line was senior Erin Murphy (Easton, Mass.), with a 36th place finish with a time of 18:09.0.

Freshman Bryanna Allison (Lowell, Mass.) was the next Friar to cross the finish line with a time of 18:40.0, Allison placed 56th. Sophomore Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.) finished behind Allison with a time of 18:51.0 for a 62nd place finish. Classmate Lauren Mullins (Binghamton, N.Y.) earned a 65th place finish with a time of 18:54.0.

The final Friars to cross the finish line were sophomore Kathleen Powell (Wrentham, Mass.), senior Jackie McCarthy (New Rochelle, N.Y.), senior Elizabeth DeVivo (Riverside, Conn.), sophomore Katie Sischo (Jamesville, N.Y.) and senior Molly McCann (Rockville Centre, N.Y.).

Powell finished 73rd with a time of 19:07.0, while McCarthy earned a 76th place finish in a time of 19:19.0. DeVivo was the next Friar to finish the race with a 89th place finish in a time of 19:50.0. Sischo and McCann were the final Friars to finish. Sischo finshed 91st with a time of 19:51.0 and McCann was 96th with a time of 21:09.0.

"It was a good day for the men and women against national championship caliber opponents," Assistant Coach Kevin Myles stated on the race. "We got exceptional races from our top runners on both the men’s and women’s side. We are looking forward to the remainder of the season as we will strive to show steady improvement."

Providence finished the race with 50 points, 35 less than the second place team, Oregon (85 points). No. 9 Cornell was third with 101 points and 24th-ranked Boston College earned a fourth place finish with 110 points. Overall Providence was one of 14 teams that competed in the race that marked the start of the qualifying period for teams to start collecting points for the Division I Cross Country National Championships to be held in Terre Haute, Ind. on Nov. 23.

The Friars are back in action Oct. 12 when the Friars will once again compete at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. at the New England Championships.

--GO FRIARS--
Jennifer Friedman
Sports Information
Graduate Assistant