[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Wins At College Woods

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Sat Aug 30 14:37:18 EDT 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014

Contact - Laura Nagel (401) 865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Wins At College Woods

The Friars claim six of the top nine spots.

Durham, N.H. – The Providence College men’s cross country team won their first meet of the season at the University of New Hampshire. The Friars claimed the top three spots of the race. Finishing first and winning his first collegiate race was freshman Thomas O’Neill (Middletown, N.J.). O’Neill finished the 6km course in a time of 18:32.90.

Seniors Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) and Brian Doyle (Swansea, Mass.) crossed the line shortly after O’Neill. Hillery finished second (18:35.30) and Doyle placed third (18:35.40).

Stephen Robertson was the fourth Friar to cross the line. Robertson placed fifth in 18:49.10.

Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.), Jake Feinstein (Sandy Hook, Conn.) and Hugh Armstrong (Balina, County Mayo, Ireland) rounded out the Friars top seven. Crawley finished eighth (18:53.70), Feinstein finished ninth (18:55.90) and Armstrong finished 13th (19:15.10).

“I’m delighted with the performance given the fact that we were missing five of our top 10,” head coach Ray Treacy said. “There was a big step up in the performances over the last year from Stephen, Trevor and Jake. It’s a great start for freshman Tom to win his first college race, first time out.”

The Friars will look to build off of their race at College Woods when they compete at the Stony Brook Invitational in Stony Brook, N.Y. on Saturday, Sept. 13.

-Go Friars-

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College