[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Women’s Cross Country Opens Season At UNH

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Sat Aug 30 14:39:23 EDT 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Saturday, Aug. 30, 2014

Contact - Laura Nagel (401) 865-1245

Providence College Women’s Cross Country Open Season At UNH

The Friars claim four of the top eight spots.

Durham, N.H. – The Providence College women’s cross country team tied their season opener at the University of New Hampshire on Aug. 30. The Friars claimed four of the top eight spots.

Freshman Katie Lembo (Penfield, N.Y.) was the first of the Providence women to cross the finish. Lembo placed second in a time of 17:39.70 for the 5 km course. Freshman Mackenzie Barry (Mendham, N.J.) and junior Lauren Mullins (Binghamton, N.Y.) crossed the finish line together, shortly after Lembo in fourth and fifth place, respectively. Barry finished in 17:53.80 and Mullins crossed the line in 17:54.10.

To round out the top seven, junior Katelyn Sischo (Jamesville, N.Y.), seniors Devyn Pryor (Dartmouth, Mass.) and Julie Solimine (Haverhill, Mass.) and junior Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.) finished eighth, 11th, 14th and 18th respectively.

The women finished up the day with 30 points to tie the meet with UNH.

“Given the fact that we were missing our projected top three for the season, we came in with hopes that we could get three or four people around the eighteen minute mark and we did that,” said head coach Ray Treacy. “The two freshman also impressed with their performances.”

The Friars will look to build off of their performance at College Woods when they race at the Stony Brook Invitational in Stony Brook, N.Y. on Saturday, Sept. 13.

-Go Friars-

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College