[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Women’s Cross Country Qualifies For NCAA’s

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Fri Nov 14 17:40:34 EST 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, Nov. 14, 2014

Contact - Laura Nagel (401) 865-1245

Providence College Women’s Cross Country Qualifies For NCAA’s

Three Friars earned All-Northeast Region honors.

BRONX, N.Y. - The Providence College women's cross country team qualified for the NCAA Championships with a second-place finish (128 points) at the Northeast Regional Championship on Friday, Nov. 14 at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, N.Y. The top-two teams in each region earned automatic bids to the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind. on Nov. 22.

Sophomore Catarina Rocha (Peabody, Mass.) was the first Friar to cross the line in seventh-place. Rocha ran the 6km course in a time of 20:23.04.

Freshman Katie Lembo (Penfield, N.Y.) also finished in the top-10 for the Friars. Lembo grabbed 10th-place (20:29.98) as the second Friar across the line.

Junior Lauren Mullins (Binghamton, N.Y.) and freshman Brianna Ilarda (Perth, Australia) were the third and fourth Friars, respectively, to finish. Mullins collected 24th-place (21:01.10), while Ilarda finished 35th in a time of 21:16.23.

The fifth runner for Providence was freshman Mackenzie Barry (Mendham, N.J.). Barry clocked in at 21:30.28 for 52nd-place.

Rounding out the top-seven Friars were juniors Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.) and Katie Sischo (Jamesville, N.Y.). Keating finished 97th in a time of 22:03.08, while Sischo finished 141st (22:44.42).

Rocha, Lembo and Mullins also earned All-Northeast Region honors for their top-25 performances.

“I’m thrilled with our women getting an automatic bid to the NCAA championship,” said head coach Ray Treacy. “Coming in ranked fifth in the region, our backs were against the wall.  I’m proud of how the team battled. We beat some very good teams today. We are young and this will provide some valuable experience for the team.”

Up next, the Providence women will return to Terre Haute, Ind. to conclude their season at the 2014 NCAA Cross Country Championships on Saturday, Nov. 22.

- Go Friars -?

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College