[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Women’s Cross Country Secures Win At Stony Brook

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Sat Sep 13 13:23:55 EDT 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014

Contact - Laura Nagel (401) 865-1245

Providence College Women’s Cross Country Secures Win At Stony Brook

Brianna Ilarda was the first to cross the line for the Friars in her collegiate debut.

Stony Brook, N.Y. - The Providence College women's cross country team claimed three of the top four spots to earn first place at the Wolfie Invitational in Stony Brook, N.Y. on Saturday, Sept. 13. The women finished with 40 points to earn the win.

Freshman Brianna Ilarda (Perth, Australia) crossed the finish line first for the Friars, second overall, in a time of 18:41.86, just seconds behind the winner. Fellow classmate Katie Lembo (Penfield, N.Y.) and junior Lauren Mullins (Binghamton, N.Y.) finished within two seconds of each other for third (18:47.51) and fourth (18:49.03), respectively.

Freshman McKenzie Barry (Mendham, N.J.) and junior Katie Sischo (Jamesville, N.Y.) were next to cross the finish for Providence. Barry finished the 5km course in a time of 19:19.54 for 15th with Sischo right behind her for 16th (19:23.56).

To round out the top seven scorers, junior Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.) and senior Julie Solimine (Haverhill, Mass.) finished 19th and 21st, respectively. Keating crossed the line in 19:31.72 and Solimine finished with a time of 19:36.40.

“I’m very happy with both teams’ performances today,” said head coach Ray Treacy. “It’s an improvement from UNH but at the same time we will look to improve again in two weeks. Boston will be the first meet that counts towards NCAA points and we look forward to seeing what we can do there.”

Up next for the Friars is the Battle in Beantown at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. on Friday, Sept. 26. The races are set to go off around 3:00 p.m. with a field including other nationally ranked teams.

-Go Friars-?

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College