[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Wins Wolfie Invitational

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Sat Sep 13 13:25:57 EDT 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014

Contact - Laura Nagel (401) 865-1245

??

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Wins Wolfie Invitational

The men swept the top three spots at Stony Brook.

Stony Brook, N.Y. - The Providence College men's cross country team finished first at the Wolfie Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 13. The men finished the 8k course with a total of 26 points for the win.

The trio of senior Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland), freshman Thomas O’Neill (Middletown, N.J.) and senior Brian Doyle (Swansea, Mass.) swept the top three spots. The three men all crossed the line together with Quinn in first place (24:53.28), O’Neill in second (24:53.61) and Doyle finishing third (24:53.95).

The next to finish for the Friars were sophomores Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.) and Hugh Armstrong (Balina, County Mayo, Ireland). Crawley finished the course in a time of 25:14.82 for ninth place and Armstrong crossed the line in 25:18.57 for 11th.

To round out the top seven finishers for Providence, junior Harvey Dixon (Aldershot, England) finished 12th in a time of 25:26.32 with fellow classmate Joseph Vercollone (Pembroke, Mass.) right behind him in 13th (25:31.57).

 “I’m very happy with both teams’ performances today,” said head coach Ray Treacy. “It’s an improvement from UNH but at the same time we will look to improve again in two weeks. Boston will be the first meet that counts towards NCAA points and we look forward to seeing what we can do there.”

The Friars will look to continue their success as they head to the Battle in Beantown at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. on Friday, Sept. 26 to face other nationally ranked teams.

-Go Friars-

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College