[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s and Women’s Track Compete At Brown Springtime Invitational

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Mon Apr 27 11:14:29 EDT 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Monday, April 27, 2015
Contact: Laura Nagel, 401-865-1245

Providence College Men’s and Women’s Track Compete At Brown Springtime Invitational
The Friars had four individual victories on the day.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College men’s and women’s track teams competed at the Brown Springtime Invitational yesterday (Sunday, April 27) in Providence, R.I. Senior Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.), graduate-student Laura Nagel (Napier, New Zealand), senior Caitlin Abelseth (Voorheesville, N.Y.) and freshman Brianna Ilarda (Perth, Australia) each won their respective events.

Hillery was victorious in the men’s 5,000 meters after sitting behind the leaders for the majority of the race. With 200 meters to go, he took the lead and outkicked New Balance Boston’s Andrew Erskine for the win (14:46.65).

For the women’s 5,000 meters, Nagel led from start to finish. She crossed the line in 16:45.23, over a minute ahead of the second-place finisher.

Ilarda made her career 3,000-meter steeple debut at Brown Stadium, winning the race comfortably in a finishing time of 10:42.01, 17 seconds ahead of second.

The Providence 800-meter men and women each had successful days, coming away with four personal-best performances. For the women, senior Caitlin Abelseth (Voorheesville, N.Y.) took home the title, finishing in 2:10.28, while classmate Taylor Corder (Corinth, Miss.) finished third in a time of 2:11.04. On the men’s side, James Campbell (Cumberland, Maine) and Andrew Doherty (Taunton, Mass.) placed third and fourth, respectively, both with new life-time bests.

The finish off the day, the men’s 4x400 meter relay team also came away with a win.

The Friars are back in action on May 8th and 9th when they travel to Philadelphia, Pa. for the 2015 BIG EAST Outdoor Track & Field Championships. The championships will be streamed live on FoxSportsGO.

- GO FRIARS -

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College