[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Place Sixth At Northeast Regional Championship

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Fri Nov 13 16:03:35 EST 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 13, 2015
Contact: Laura Nagel, 401-865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Place Sixth At Northeast Regional Championship
Julian Oakley led the Friars with a 16th-place finish.

Boston, Mass. – The Providence College men’s cross country team placed sixth at the NCAA Northeast Regional Championship today (Nov. 13) at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass.

The entire field was in a large pack for the first half of the 10km race. As the pack started to spread out, senior Julian Oakley (Tauranga, New Zealand) and sophomore Aaron Hanlon (Drogheda, Ireland) kept themselves well inside the front pack, while junior Hugh Armstrong (Ballina, County Mayo, Ireland) sat just behind.

Over the last 2km of the race, Hanlon pulled away from Oakley, only to be caught again in the last loop of the Wilderness. Oakley finished 16th in a time of 31:02, while Hanlon grabbed the 21st spot (31:11).

Coming into the last loop, Armstrong was sitting in the top-40, with senior Christian Costello (Ridgewood, Mass.) making his way up the field. Costello had a monster finish, overtaking Armstrong for 37th overall (31:34) and the third Friar across the line, while Armstrong finished 40th (31:35).

Coming in as the fifth Friar was junior Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.). Crawley grabbed the 55th spot in a time of 31:51.

Rounding out Providence’s top-7 were seniors Stephen Robertson (Wakefield, Mass.) and Brendan Sullivan (Foxboro, Mass.). Robertson finished 97th in a time of 32:35, while Robertson took 144th (33:10).

“It was an unfortunate day for us with Tom, one of our top runners all season, not running,” said head coach Ray Treacy. “We needed everything to go right. Hugh and Julian took a fall at the mile mark and that was enough to take us out of the equation. As it was, we just missed qualifying for nationals by 16 places.”

OFFICIAL RESULTS<http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/prov/sports/m-xc/auto_pdf/2015-16/box_score/stats_20151113aaa.pdf>

- GO FRIARS -

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant