[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence Women’s Cross Country Dominates At Coast-to-Coast Battle In Beantown

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Fri Sep 25 17:21:01 EDT 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 25, 2015
Contact: Laura Nagel, 401.865.1245

Providence Women’s Cross Country Dominates At Coast-to-Coast Battle In Beantown
Catarina Rocha and Sarah Collins led the Friars, finishing third and fourth, respectively.

BOSTON, Mass. – The No. 8 ranked Providence College women’s cross country team dominated the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown today (Sept. 25) at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. The Friars tallied 42 points for the win, defeating three other nationally ranked teams, including No. 19 Syracuse (126 points, second-place), No. 4 Georgetown (134 points, third-place) and No. 25 Dartmouth (179 points, eighth-place).

The race got out to a quick start with senior Sarah Collins (Basil, Switzerland) asserting her dominance. Collins led the field through the first lap and stayed in the top-3 for the remainder of the race. Junior co-captain Catarina Rocha (Peabody, Mass.) sat patiently in the chase pack from the get-go. Heading into the last field at Franklin Park, Rocha was sitting in seventh with top-3 in sight. She held her form and kicked past sixth, fifth and Collins for a third-place finish (16:53.9). Collins held on for a fourth-place  finish (16:55.6) to cross the line as the second Friar.

Senior co-captain Lauren Mullins (Binghamton, N.Y.) and sophomore Brianna Ilarda (Perth, Australia) also had strong performances today. Mullins and Ilarda ran within 10-feet of each other throughout most of the race, with Ilarda just slightly behind. Mullins crossed the line as the third Providence women in seventh-place overall (17:11.3), while Ilarda grabbed 12th-place in a time of 17:19.6.

The fifth Friars across the line was sophomore Katie Lembo (Penfield, N.Y.). Lembo wasn’t too far off Ilarda, crossing the 5km course in a time of 17:24.9 for 16th-place.

Rounding out the Providence top-7 were junior Emily Bushey (Vernon, N.J.) and senior Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.). Bushey was five seconds off of Lembo, placing 21st (17:29.1), while Keating finished 51st in a time of 17:56.3.

“It was a great team effort today,” said Head Coach Ray Treacy. “Cat and Sarah were brilliant up front and our pack behind them through to our sixth runner were all very close. They were a lot better than I thought and now we will have three good weeks of training ahead of Wisconsin.”

The women will return to action at the New England Championships in Franklin Park on Oct. 10.

- GO FRIARS -

Laura Nagel
Sports Information Graduate Assistant
Providence College