[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Track Hosts Day One Of Ocean State Invitational

Laura A Nagel lnagel at friars.providence.edu
Fri Apr 15 21:52:37 EDT 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 15, 2016
Contact: Laura Nagel, 401-865-1245

Providence College Track Hosts Day One Of Ocean State Invitational
Several Friars clocked career bests at the Ray Treacy Track on Day One of the Ocean State Invitational.

Day One Results<http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/prov/sports/m-track/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/OceanStateInviteResults.pdf>

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -  The Providence College men's and women's track team hosted day one of the Ocean State Invitational tonight (April 15).

On the women's side, junior Catarina Rocha (Peabody, Mass.) and sophomore Katie Lembo (Penfield, N.Y.) looked strong in the women's 5,000 meters. Rocha pulled away from Lembo over the last 400 meters to finish in a time of 16:07.33, which also was a meet record. Lembo came in just a few seconds behind for second-place in a personal best time of 16:11.53, while senior Sarah Collins came in fourth (16:17.69).

The women's 3,000-meter steeplechase saw several fast times. Elinor Purrier of New Hampshire captured the win in an NCAA lead time of 9:47.17. Providence sophomore Brianna Ilarda (Perth, Australia) came in third with a huge 28-second personal best (10:04.17), while junior Keelin Hollowood (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) also clocked a personal best, with a sixth-place finish (10:39.11).

On the men's side, graduate-student Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) won the men's 5,000 meters. Hillery finished in a career-best 14:07.44. Following Hillery were juniors Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.) and Hugh Armstrong (Ballina, County Mayo, Ireland) in second (14:09.06) and third-place (14:09.79), respectively. Both Crawley and Armstrong also ran career-bests on the night.

Tomorrow, the Friars will head over to Brown University for day two of the Ocean State Invitational.

- GO FRIARS -

Laura Nagel
Athletic Media Relations Graduate Assistant
Providence College
1 Cunningham Square
Providence, R.I. 02918
(c) 401-527-2661