[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Finishes With Five Top-Ten Scorers For Season Opening Win

Jennifer R Friedman jfriedm1 at friars.providence.edu
Sat Aug 31 15:08:53 EDT 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Saturday, Aug. 31

Contact: Jennifer Friedman-(401) 865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Finishes With Five Top-Ten Scorers For Season Opening Win

The Friars nearly claimed a perfect score with five runners in the top-six finishers.

Durham, N.H. - The Providence College men’s cross country team earned a win at the UNH Dual Meet on Saturday, Aug. 31. The Friars claimed six out of the top ten spots helping them capture the win from New Hampshire (43 points) and Holy Cross (85 points). Providence finished with an almost perfect team score of 17 points.

Juniors Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland) and Benjamin Connor (Derby, England) finished first and second, respectively, as they crossed the finish line together in a time of 18:12. Graduate student Julian Saad (Trumbull, Conn.) followed the pair closely with a time of 18:15 for a third place finish. It was Saad’s first race as a Friar.

Junior Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) and sophomore Harvey Dixon (Aldershot, England) were the final Friars to score for Providence. Liam finished fifth with a time of 18:26, while Dixon followed with a sixth place finish in a time of 18:30.

Sophomores Julian Oakley (Tauranga, New Zealand), Christian Costello (Ridgewood, N.J.), Joseph Vercollone (Pembroke, Mass.), Stephen Robertson (Wakefield, Mass.), Jake Meredith (Wellfleet, Mass.), and Brendan Sullivan (Foxboro, Mass.) all had strong showings at the meet as well. Oakley put in a top-10 performance with a time of 18:30 for a seventh place finish. Costello finished in 18:48 for an 11th place finish.

Vercollone crossed the finish line at 18:52 right behind freshman Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.), who finished in 18:51 for a 12th place finish.

Robertson, Meredith, and Sullivan finished 21st, 22nd, and 25th respectively. Robertson crossed at 19:19, while Meredith was right behind with 19:23. Sullivan was the last Friar to cross the line at 19:31.

"We are incredibly happy with the way the men competed today," Head Coach Ray Treacy shared at the conclusion of the meet. "Compared to this time last year we showed a greater level of depth and a stronger performance. After the next four weeks of training we will see how they perform in Boston at the end of September."

The Friars will look to build off the win when they travel to Stony Brook, N.Y. for the Stony Brook Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 14.

--GO FRIARS--

Jennifer Friedman

Sports Information

Graduate Assistant