[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Sisson and Matthews Earn All-American Honors

Rachel C Anderson rander11 at friars.providence.edu
Mon Mar 11 14:35:06 EDT 2013

Providence College Sisson and Matthews Earn All-American Honors

Sisson and Matthews both earn All-America Second Team accolades for their performances

at the NCAA Div. I Championship on March 8.

NEW ORLEANS -  The US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) officially announced on Monday, March 11 the 288 men and 266 women that earned USTFCCCA All-American honors for the 2013 Div. I Indoor Track & Field season based on their performances at the Indoor Track & Field Championship. The Championship was held on March 9-10 in Fayetteville, Ark.

Junior Emily Sisson (Chesterfield, Mo.) and senior Julian Matthews (Nelson, New Zealand) both earned All-America Second Team honors from their performances at the NCAA Div. I Indoor Track Championships.

Sisson finished ninth at NCAAs in the 5,000-meters in a time of 15:54.73. The accolade marks her fourth All-American honor.  Sisson received three All-America honors in 2012 in indoor track (3,000-meters), outdoor track (5,000-meters) and cross country.

Matthews competed in the mile at NCAAs. He finished 16th in the preliminaries with a time of 4:12.57.  This is the third All-American honor Matthews has received.  In 2011, he earned All-American honors in indoor track (mile) and outdoor track (1,500-meters).

First team honors were given to all those who placed in the Championship’s top-eight in an event or were a member of an eight-person final.  Second team honors were given to all those who finished between ninth and 16th place.  An additional 11 men and nine women earned honorable mention honors.

For the complete release from ustfcca.org, visit (http://www.ustfccca.org/2013/03/featured/division-i-indoor-ustfccca-all-america-awards-announced)

-Go Friars-