[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Heads To BIG EAST Championship

Jennifer R Friedman jfriedm1 at friars.providence.edu
Fri Nov 1 11:21:15 EDT 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Thursday, Oct. 31
Contact: Jennifer Friedman-(401) 865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Heads To BIG EAST Championship
Providence will be one of nine teams competing at the meet.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men’s cross country team travels to Kenosha, Wis. to compete in the BIG EAST Cross Country Championships. The Friars will send a nine-person squad to represent Providence at the meet. The 8k race will kick off at 11:00 a.m. CT at the Dannehl National Cross Country Course.

The runners representing Providence are graduate student Julian Saad (Trumbull, Conn.), juniors Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland), Benjamin Connor (Derby, England), Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) and Brian Doyle (Swansea, Mass.), along with sophomores Christian Costello (Ridgewood, N.J.), Harvey Dixon (Aldershot, England) and Julian Oakley (Tauranga, New Zealand) and freshman Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.).

The men will enter the race as the favorite with a No. 19 spot in the national poll. Providence last won a BIG EAST Championship title in 2006, as that team had two top-five finishers, including top finisher Martin Fagan ‘07. Lee Carey ‘13 was the last Friar to take the individual title (2010). Overall, the Friars have captured the BIG EAST title 15 times in 32 appearances.

The Friars will face eight other schools including Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, No. 26 Villanova and Xavier.

This season, the Friars have been led by Quinn, Connor and Saad. The three have captured the top-three scoring positions in almost every meet they have competed in. Quinn has turned in three top-finishes for Providence, including two first-place finishes.

Quinn also ran to a ninth-place finish at one of the biggest races of the season, the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational (Oct. 19). Consistent runners, Connor and Saad have helped the Friars claim two of the four races they have competed in. The three also helped the Friars claim a third-place finish at the Boston College Invitational (Sept. 27).

Last Ten Years At The BIG EAST Championship
2012 - 4th [Quinn (2), Dixon (30), Connnor (38), Hillery (39), Costello (46)]
2011 - 5th [Quinn (28), Connor (35), Hillery (60)]
2010 - 3rd
2009 - 5th
2008 - 4th
2007 - 3rd
2006 - 1st
2005 - 3rd
2004 - 3rd
2003 - 4th

“We are excited to start the championship season with one of the tougher meets of the year,” Head Coach Ray Treacy shared. “We feel the men have a strong chance to win and we are going to give it our best shot.”

Follow the Friars progress through their twitter page @FriarsXCTrack<https://twitter.com/friarsxctrack>. Also check flotrack.org<http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250905-Big-East-Cross-Country-Championships-2013> for more information along with post race interviews and conference results.

--GO FRIARS--

Jennifer Friedman

Sports Information

Graduate Assistant