[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Travels To Regional Championship

Jennifer R Friedman jfriedm1 at friars.providence.edu
Thu Nov 14 10:03:37 EST 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Thursday, Nov. 14

Contact: Jennifer Friedman-(401) 865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Travels To Regional Championship

Providence will look to qualify for Nationals for the 40th time in program history.

Providence, R.I. - The No. 21 Providence College men’s cross country team will travel to Bronx, N.Y. for the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships on Friday, Nov. 15. The race will kick-off at 11:45 a.m. at Van Cortlandt Park.

Graduate student Julian Saad (Trumbull, Conn.) will be joined by juniors Brian Doyle (Swansea, Mass.), Benjamin Connor (Derby, England), Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland) and Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.), sophomore Harvey Dixon (Adlershot, England) and freshman Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.), as the seven Friars that will compete on Friday. Sophomore Christian Costello (Ridgewood, N.J.) will act as the Friars’ alternate runner.

The Friars will take on nationally ranked teams, No. 7 Iona, No. 8 Columbia, No. 14 Syracuse and No. 26 Dartmouth as well as regionally ranked teams, No. 6 Harvard, No. 7 Yale, No. 8 Central Connecticut, No. 9 Army and No. 10 Cornell.

“At this stage we are looking forward to the last races of the season,” Head Coach Ray Treacy shared. “We are where we need to be at this point in time and are looking forward to positive results and trying to get an automatic qualification for Nationals.”

Last season, the Friars finished fifth out of 34 teams with 154 points. The Friars will look to qualify for the NCAA Championships for the 40th time in the history of the program.

This season, Quinn leads Providence in first-place finishes with two and three top-finishes for the Friars. Doyle was the top-finisher for Providence at the BIG EAST Championship on Nov. 2, with a third-place overall finish in the race to lead the Friars to a runner-up title.

Connor and Saad join Quinn and Doyle as the top Friars this season. All four have turned in consistent performances throughout the 2013 season.

Last Ten Years At Northeast Regional Championships

2012 - 5th of 34 (154 points) [Quinn (3)]

2011 - 4th of 33 (108 points) [Quinn (17)]

2010 - 3rd of 35 (113 points)

2009 - 3rd of 36 (78 points)

2008 - 2nd of 33 (88 points)

2007 - 2nd of 34 (46 points)