[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Men’s Cross Country Claims Fourth At Northeast Region Championships

Jennifer R Friedman jfriedm1 at friars.providence.edu
Fri Nov 15 22:15:28 EST 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, Nov. 15

Contact: Jennifer Friedman-(401) 865-1245

Providence College Men’s Cross Country Claims Fourth At Northeast Region Championships

Quinn finished seventh out of a field of 200 competitors as the Friars top-finisher.

BRONX, N.Y. - The Providence College men’s cross country team earned a fourth place finish at the Northeast Regional Championships today, Nov. 15 at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y. The Friars fourth place finish gives them a solid position to qualify for the NCAA National Championships to take place on Saturday, Nov. 23.

The Friars were led by junior Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland), who claimed a seventh place finish with a time of 30:24.4 in the 10k race. Classmate Brian Doyle (Swansea, Mass.) was the next Friar to cross the finish line. Dolye finished the race in a time of 30:29.0 to notch 12th place.

Junior Benjamin Connor (Derby, England) was the third Friar to finish. With a 30:34.5 time, Connor finished in 15th place. Four seconds later, graduate student Julian Saad (Trumbull, Conn.) was the fourth Friar in for Providence. Saad finished 18th with a time of 30:38.3. The fifth Friar to score was sophomore Harvey Dixon (Aldershot, England), who claimed a 38th place finish in a time of 31:08.6.

Freshman Trevor Crawley (Cumberland, R.I.) finished sixth for the Friars and 70th overall with a time of 31:49.8.  Junior Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) followed Crawley, with a 87th place finish in a time of 32:07.2.

Quinn, Doyle, Connor and Saad all earned All-Northeast Regional Honors for their top-25 performances out of a field of 250 competitors.

The Friars finished the race with 90 points, while Syracuse the winners finished with 57. Columbia (78 points) and Iona (81 points) finished second and third, respectively.

“I am happy with the men and with the way they ran today,” Head Coach Ray Treacy commented. “Based on our results today and the season they have had thus far it appears we should make NCAA’s next week but will be official on Saturday.”

Providence’s strong performances throughout the year will give them an edge as the final teams to compete at the National Championships in Terre Haute, Ind. will be announced tomorrow (Nov. 16) at 3:00 p.m. The Friars fourth place finish should be enough to send them to their 40th NCAA team appearance in the history of the program, the seventh most times in the nation.

--GO FRIARS--

Jennifer Friedman

Sports Information

Graduate Assistant