[Pcalumnixctrack] Providence College Women’s Cross Country Takes Regionals, Securing NCAA Bid

Jennifer R Friedman jfriedm1 at friars.providence.edu
Fri Nov 15 22:16:28 EST 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, Nov. 15

Contact: Jennifer Friedman-(401) 865-1245

Providence College Women’s Cross Country Takes Regionals, Securing NCAA Bid

Sisson, Collins and Nagel finished in the top-seven to guide the Friars to the win.

BRONX, N.Y. - The Providence College women’s cross country team claimed its second consecutive Northeast Region title with three top-seven finishers today (Nov. 15) at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y. With the win, the Friars earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Cross Country Championships in Terre Haute, Ind. on Saturday, Nov. 23.

The women were led by senior Emily Sisson (Chesterfield, Mo.), who claimed a second place finish with a time of 19:59.1. Sisson was followed by sophomore Sarah Mary Collins (Basel, Switzerland), who notched third with a time of 20:01.2 in the 6k race.

Senior Laura Nagel (Napier, New Zealand) also notched a top-10 performance with a seventh place finish as the third Friar to cross the finish line. Nagel ran the race in a time of 20:16.8. Freshman Catarina Rocha (Peabody, Mass.) was the fourth Friar to finish with a time of 20:34.9 for 12th place.

Senior Grace Thek (Melbourne, Australia) was the fifth Friar to score with a time of 20:50.9. Thek earned an overall finish of 20th with her time.

Sophomore Molly Keating (Rehoboth, Mass.) and senior Erin Murphy (Easton, Mass.) were the final finishers for Providence. Keating finished 71st with a time of 21:50.8, while Murphy finished 76th with a time of 21:57.7.

All five scoring runners (Sisson, Collins, Nagel, Rocha, Thek) for Providence earned All-Northeast Regional Honors for their top-25 performances out of a field of 250 competitors.

Providence was first with 44 points, while Dartmouth finished second with 84 points and Syracuse finished third with 135 points.

“We are very happy with the day the women had,” Head Coach Ray Treacy shared on the victory. “The women did what they needed to do, as the team ran well. Our top-five look solid and we are looking forward to competing at the NCAA’s next weekend.”

The Friars will travel to Terre Haute, Ind. as they compete for the Division I NCAA Cross Country Title on Saturday, Nov. 23. It will mark the 24th trip to the NCAA Championships for the women.

--GO FRIARS--

Jennifer Friedman

Sports Information

Graduate Assistant